Sunday, June 6, 2010

"Beauty is truth, truth beauty,,,,"

"When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou say'st,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." John Keats' "Ode on a Grecian Urn".
I grew up in my mother's studio, playing with clay, paints, linoleum, and lots of other materials in the beautiful woods of rural Chatham County, Georgia. Mom was a commercial artist who had first learned from her grandmother how to draw and paint. Because my father was a lithographer and the medium intrigued me, I took myself to the University of Georgia to study with a wonderful Tamarind printmaker, Charlie Morgan. I ventured into clay there, too, which has been my primary medium since grad school. I share a studio in the Lowcountry of South Carolina with one of my favorite artists, my daughter.

No comments: